Technical recruiting, simply described, is the process of hiring people for technical roles such as software development, UI/UX designing, IT service engineering, and so on. The HR team will often need to have a working knowledge of the technological ideas related to the job, which is different from non-technical recruiting.
But when it comes to information, how much is enough? Isn’t it true that learning all of the concepts and applications associated with a tech career would take months? Instead, when doing an interview, we recommend employing a technical recruiting cheat sheet to keep the basics ready.
A technical recruiting cheat sheet, as the name implies, covers all of the phrases and concepts that a recruiter should keep in mind when hiring for a technical position. It includes definitions, skill sets, language requirements, and other critical information in a simple, at-a-glance manner that allows even non-technical recruiters to assess whether the prospect in front of them is a suitable fit.
A technical cheat sheet allows you to quickly and readily access key technical recruiting material, resulting in higher technical recruitment success rates. The following are some of the advantages of using a technical cheat sheet:
- Easy access to the most common technical words you’ll come across throughout the recruitment process.
- Increasing your understanding and exposure to the fast-paced world of technology.
- Build trust and confidence in your applicants and clients by demonstrating that you are knowledgeable about technical roles.
- To analyze and select the best applicants
Hiring a developer – or any other technical candidate – is not difficult if you have a technical backgroundbecause you already know what qualities and talents you are looking for in the candidate.
However, if you lack technical knowledge, all of the concepts and techniques mentioned can be perplexing. This is especially true because technology is continually changing, making it difficult for anyone to keep up.
A technical recruiting cheat sheet can assist with three different aspects:
- Expertise – The technical abilities required for the job.
- Soft skills – Soft skills are non-technical abilities that are just as vital for success as technical abilities.
- Team compatibility – Characteristics that suggest a willingness to work together and share victories.
The cheat sheet to hire for technical roles is as follows:
To produce the client-facing side of the product, this function entails collaborating with backend engineers and other non-technical stakeholders such as designers. It essentially connects your company’s technical and non-technical worlds.
- Atomic design principle
- Knowledge of several frameworks
- Front-end security and debugging
- Has a broad understanding of web technology and design patterns
- UI/UX topics such as trade-offs and perceived experience should be understood
Writing server-side code, creating APIs, and ensuring that product ideas are scalable are all part of this profession. They’re the ones who lay the groundwork for the front-end developer to build on. For hiring them, here’s a technical recruiting cheat sheet:
- Pick up new technology quickly
- IT architectural expertise
- Exceptional at writing scalable server-side code
- In their skill stack, they are up to speed on standards and best practices
- Has a working knowledge of a variety of software design frameworks and patterns
- Problem-solving nature
- An attitude of adaptability and cooperation
- Takes responsibility for his or her performance
Developers who work on both the front end and the back end are called full-stack developers. Depending on the nature of the job, the developer will usually favor one of the two options. They usually have a wide range of skills with a few specializations.
- Ability to stack matches for the team
- Can create an MVP
- Can think at a high technical level and is dedicated to promoting best practices throughout the tech stack
- Even if they don’t have a lot of experience with technology, they understand and learn it
- Constantly learning
- Motivated and creative
- When it comes to product selection, are objective
- Self-starter who manages their obligations and is passionate about what they are developing
- During work, considers both technical and non-technical contexts
4. DevOps specialist
This is a support role that combines operations, software development, and quality assurance experience to help with the development process and guarantee that the product being developed is technically and financially sound. Take a look at our cheat sheet for technical recruiting of DevOps specialists:
- Technical knowledge in a related field
- Ability to build server environments
- Can manage a large amount of data maintenance and knows how to work smarter, not harder
- Experience with successful system monitoring and reporting
- Capable of learning new technologies and concepts quickly
- Strong communication abilities
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Enjoys working behind the scenes
- Ability to make strategic decisions
- Possessing a problem-solving mindset as well as curiosity
Want to know how to hire the best DevOps engineer? Click here.
Hopefully, this detailed technical recruitment cheat sheet will assist you in more accurately assessing your prospects’ talents and reducing your time-to-hire. It’s important to note, though, that technical expertise isn’t the only criterion for a successful fit.
To fit into your corporate culture, your candidate must have great communication skills, a willingness to learn, and the requisite people skills. Hence, keep an eye out for them as you assess technical skills.
Testlify is a candidate-friendly skill assessment platform that allows you to assess applicants on a variety of programming languages, software engineering frameworks, and coding skills.
You may also tailor the test to any technical role by including any number of 700+ abilities in either MCQ or coding question forms. On top of that, you can also assess your candidate on soft skills such as communication, time-management, attention to detail, etc through our platform.
Obtain a comprehensive candidate performance report. Hire as soon as possible!