The recruitment process in organizations has changed drastically in this virtual era. With a significant number of employees working remotely or from home, recruitment specialists and talent acquisition teams have adapted to an all-virtual environment.
Recruitment processes such as face-to-face interviews have been replaced by video interviews and online testing tools, making it easier than before to assess candidates’ abilities for specific job roles.
However, providing quality candidate experience in recruitment continues to be one of the top challenges. With the absence of working in an office space, face-to-face physical interaction, and in-person discussions, recruitment specialists have doubled their efforts to develop creative solutions to improve candidate experience and bridge this gap.
Implementing these solutions would enable them to showcase their company culture and explain why their organization is a great place to work!
Especially during these times of uncertainty, job seekers need to feel valued and heard, as they are also dealing with the effects of a constantly changing work environment.
What is meant by candidate experience?
Candidate experience is all about how candidates ‘feel’ when they experience an organization’s recruitment process regardless of where they are in the hiring process.
It’s essential to create a positive candidate experience as it gives potential candidates a glimpse into the organization’s culture and how it functions even before they are hired.
The candidate’s expectations have also changed with the new virtual work scenario. The hiring organization’s active engagement and commitment are what candidates like regardless of the role they have applied for and where they are in the candidate journey.
A personalized interaction where the candidate feels valued and invested is what they expect.
Why is candidate experience so important?
For organizations, candidate experience is vital as it helps them:
- Identify and attract the right talent
- Increase job acceptance rates
- Promote brand visibility
- Generate better ROI (Return on Investment)
Also, candidates who have a positive experience are more likely to talk about it and recommend that organization to friends and colleagues.
It’s evident why candidate experience is essential for organizations. What can be done to provide a good candidate experience?
Here are some of the best practices.
Top 5 candidate experience best practices
Crafting a great candidate experience requires a mindset shift that focuses on respecting the candidate’s time and skills (regardless of whether they are fit for the role) characterized by humane and authentic interactions.
A professional yet genuine approach that focuses on building personal connections is important to create a smooth and painless candidate experience.
Here are the top 5 strategies for ensuring a great candidate experience.
Smooth & transparent hiring process
In this rapidly changing work scenario, a structured process that provides clarity and keeps the candidate informed about their progress in each step of the hiring process is essential to maintain transparency and avoid ambiguity.
Job-related queries need to be addressed at the start of the hiring process, which begins with posting your job vacancy.
It’s evident that candidates would have numerous questions regarding the role, and organizations must include the following in their website or professional job site.
- Sufficient information about the role, responsibilities, and what it entails.
- FAQ section where detailed information about the recruitment process is provided.
- List of strategies for working effectively in the new virtual environment.
It’s also important to send out regular email updates to candidates explaining where they stand in the selection process and subsequent steps ahead.
These would go a long way in keeping candidates informed and helping them feel assured, thereby contributing to an improved candidate experience.
Simple job application process
A complicated application process is a definite put-off for most candidates applying for job roles in organizations. According to a survey conducted by Career Builder, it was seen that 60% of job seekers quit the application filling process midway due to its complexity.
High applicant drop-off rates invariably lead to the loss of top talent and negatively impact the organization’s brand image.
In this digital era, when huge transactions can be performed with just the click of a mouse, it’s prudent to keep the job application process short, structured, and straightforward.
Here’s how you can optimize the process on your career site.
- Allow easy upload of resume via the company website or social media pages.
- Automate resume parsing to scan and process candidate data efficiently.
- Have a brief application form that includes relevant questions.
- Enable easy access to the FAQ section to answer common queries quickly.
- Allow direct filling of the application form without having to create an account.
A simple application process is advantageous as it saves time, both for the candidate and the organization. It also creates an excellent first impression about the organization, increasing the likelihood that candidates would want to proceed further in the hiring process.
A core factor that boosts an organization’s brand visibility is candidate personalization.
It is a form of communicating to candidates that an organization values their skill and experience and considers each candidate as an individual and not just a resume.
Sharing personally relevant content to the candidate positively influences how a candidate feels about an organization. The entire candidate personalization process can be automated with easy access to technology solutions.
Here are a few examples.
- If a candidate joins your organization’s talent community, recommend open positions that match their skill set and goals.
- Send an email with a personalized subject line for a first-time job applicant.
- If a candidate has earlier applied for jobs in your organization, prepopulate the new application with the information that they have previously provided.
- Once a candidate applies for a job role, enable application tracking to check the application status quickly.
Personalization is critical in providing a great candidate experience. Organizations that make an effort to connect with candidates on the individual level have the edge over others in attracting top talent and securing a prosperous future for themselves.
Seamless interview process
A pleasant and structured interview with quick and relevant feedback can do wonders in creating a great candidate experience. According to a LinkedIn survey, 83% of talent share that an unpleasant interview experience can change their minds about a role or company they once liked.
Here’s what can be done to ensure a great interview process.
- Use a personalized email template that clearly specifies all the necessary interview details.
- Conduct the right job interview depending on the applied job role. It could be a structured, semi-structured, or unstructured interview.
- For example, a structured interview would work best when hiring for a purely technical role. In contrast, a semi-structured interview would be preferable for certain other positions requiring a mixed skillset.
- Ensure that trained interviewers do the actual interviewing professionally yet pleasantly.
Exchange of relevant feedback is critical for the smooth implementation of any process, especially when creating a great candidate experience.
Timely communication, seeking candidates’ feedback at each step in the hiring process, thanking them for their time, and generally making them feel valued and important will leave candidates with a favorable impression about the company and eventually help create a great candidate experience.
Create a great candidate experience with pre-employment testing tools
Providing a great candidate experience has multiple benefits.
It not only helps to improve an organization’s brand reputation but also leads to higher candidate engagement and a positive experience that is mutually beneficial for both the organization and the candidate.
Ensuring a great candidate experience is by no means a simple task and requires planned efforts and the implementation of effective strategies.
Here’s where using an effective pre-employment testing tool is crucial for enabling a great candidate experience.
Testlify, one of the best pre-employment testing tools, helps organizations find top candidates quickly, accurately, and affordably.