With the rise of WordPress, it has become the most popular CMS (Content Management System) in use today. Approximately 40% of the internet’s websites run on it today.
If you have a website or are planning to build one, then hiring a WordPress developer is the best way to ensure that your website is built according to your requirements. If you want to build or update your website, you may benefit from hiring a dedicated professional.
In this article, we will talk about what makes a good WordPress developer and how much does it cost? We will also give some tips on finding the perfect match for your project in terms of price, experience, location, and many more.
At the end of this post, we will discuss how tools can help with hiring decisions and outline a 4 step guide to help you hire the right candidate for your project.
Subscribe to Testlify
Stay up-to-date on everything related to talent assessment and recruitment with our weekly content digest and email updates!
What is a WordPress developer?
A WordPress developer is a person who develops websites or web applications using WordPress as the content management system. They should be familiar with all aspects of WordPress, including design and development.
WordPress developers are responsible for creating and maintaining websites that use your custom theme. They’ll also help you change your website’s functionality (such as adding new pages) from time to time.
The role of a WordPress developer includes:
- Building complex and scalable web software using PHP and MySQL/MariaDB databases;
- Designing and developing themes for specific functions on websites;
- Creating plugins that add features or fix bugs in existing ones;
- Optimizing websites for search engines (including Google);
Why hire a WordPress developer?
WordPress is a powerful and reliable content management system (CMS). It has a community of developers that are specifically dedicated to creating themes and plugins for WordPress.
Because it’s so easy to use, maintain and update, it’s also very popular with businesses who don’t want to spend much time or money on their website.
WordPress websites are secure because they’re built on top of PHP and MySQL databases. These technologies ensure that hackers or other bad actors with malicious intent won’t compromise your information.
How much does hiring a dedicated WordPress developer from an external development team cost?
The cost of hiring a dedicated WordPress developer from an outside development team depends on the requirements you have for your site, the quality of your developer, and how much work needs to be done. The most common factors that influence the price are:
- The amount of work you need to be done
- The time frame in which you need it completed
- How many developers are needed (if any)
How to find the best WordPress developer for your needs?
To hire a WordPress developer, you must first do your research. You want to ensure that they are the right fit for your project and have the skills needed to complete it. Start by looking at their portfolio as well as their previous work. If they don’t have any experience with WordPress, then it’s probably not worth hiring them for this project.
You should also ask for references from previous clients, previous employers, and check their LinkedIn recommendations and reviews online (if any).
Once you’ve done all this research, it’s time to ask more specific questions about what you’re expecting from the developer, so there aren’t any surprises later on down the road when something doesn’t go according to plan!
Ask: What kind of work will be done? How long will it take? How much does each item cost? Will there be revisions/changes needed after initial completion? Are there payment options available (i.e., monthly payments)? Do they offer anything else aside from programming (like design services)? And finally…what makes them unique compared to other developers out there who offer similar services?
Top qualities of a dedicated WordPress developer.
A good WordPress developer should have the following qualities:
- Excellent communication skills. A great WordPress developer must be able to communicate effectively with clients and team members, as well as explain technical concepts to non-techies.
- The ability to work independently. Working in a remote environment means you’ll have little direct supervision over your hired developers. You need someone who is self-motivated, disciplined, and determined to get their work done on time—even if no one’s looking over their shoulder at them or there’s no boss breathing down their neck asking when they’ll finish that project already!
- Creative and innovative thinking skills—this is crucial for web development because there are always new challenges coming up that require a fresh approach every time (and often times these challenges come up right before deadlines). A good developer will know how to find solutions quickly while still being able to deliver high-quality code according to specifications set forth by the client or agency client representative(s).
Hiring interview questions for a WordPress developer.
When hiring a WordPress developer, make sure to ask these questions:
- How many years of experience do you have with WordPress?
- What are your top skills when it comes to working with WordPress?
- What is the most challenging project you have worked on? Why was it challenging? How did you overcome those challenges, and how will you avoid them in the future?
- Do you have any suggestions for improving my site’s functionality or appearance?
What is the difference between a WordPress developer and the other specialists on the team?
A WordPress developer is an expert in the WordPress platform. They have in-depth knowledge of the WordPress platform and can build websites using the WordPress platform.
A web designer, on the other hand, is someone who designs your website to look nice and attract visitors. A web designer doesn’t usually work with coding – they leave it up to you or a developer to do that part.
Is it better to hire a local or remote WordPress developer?
If you’re looking for a local WordPress developer, the main benefit is that they may stay with you longer. Since there are fewer opportunities in your area, it will be more difficult for them to look for work elsewhere if they have a good relationship with their clients.
They can also be more creative and intuitive about your business needs because they know the market better than someone who is remote. However, this comes at a cost: local developers tend to be more expensive than remote ones (at least initially).
Remote developers are great because they don’t need to spend as much time commuting and aren’t confined by certain geographic limitations as some freelancers may be. Moreover, according to a 2022 survey, 70% of developers wish to work remotely.
This means that they can take on larger clientele or multiple projects at once without having to worry about getting stuck in traffic every day or needing childcare while working late nights for on-site visits or meetings.
Remote WordPress developers will also typically have higher-quality work/life balance because many people prefer working from home (or wherever else suits them) rather than being chained down by location restrictions.”
What tools do you use when hiring a WordPress developer?
Manage your hiring process with these tools:
- Job Portals. There are many job portals available online, like Upwork and Freelancer. You can use them to post your requirement and let the candidates apply for them.
- Assessment Tools. There are also assessment tools like Testlify that you can use to test your candidates before hiring them. This will give you an accurate report of their skills so that you know if they’re the right people for the job or not.
- Hiring Process Management Tools. There are also tools like Hireology that you can use to manage your hiring process. This way, you don’t have to do everything manually and instead let the software do all the heavy lifting for you.
Hire a professional
If you want to build or update your website, you can either use an existing template or work with a dedicated professional who will be able to create or maintain your website as per your exact requirements.
WordPress is one of the most popular and widely used content management systems in the world. It has been around for over a decade now and has become synonymous with blogging and online publishing. WordPress is definitely one of the best tools out there when it comes to creating websites, so it’s no surprise that it powers more than 29% of all websites on the internet!
However, while WordPress is an amazing tool for creating beautiful websites that are easy to manage, there are also many drawbacks associated with using this CMS platform:
- It’s not easy to learn.
- WordPress requires a lot of maintenance.
- It takes a lot of time to get the most out of your website.
So it recommended to hire someone with professional expertise.
4 Steps Guide to Hire WordPress Developer for your company
When you are planning to hire a WordPress developer for your company, it is important to take some time to consider what you need. This process will help you find the most talented and right person for the jo
Here are four steps that you can follow when hiring a WordPress developer:
1. Think About Your Site’s Purpose
Before you start looking for a WordPress developer, it is important to think about what you want your site to do. Are you building an e-commerce website? Is it meant to be informational or educational? Will it have a blog? These are all questions that will help narrow down your search and also make sure that the developer can meet your needs.
2. Find a Developer Who Has Experience in Your Niche
When looking for a WordPress developer, choosing someone with experience with your niche is important. This will help ensure that they know how WordPress works and can give you a better website overall. You may even want to try an assessment platform to assess WordPress developers before making any decisions to find the right fit for your project.
3. Review the applications and portfolios.
Once you have received applications, take some time to review them carefully. Check out their portfolios and see if they have experience with similar projects. You should also read their reviews from previous clients to get an idea of their work quality.
4. Use an assessment platform for testing skills.
If you want to ensure that the candidates are good enough for your project, then you can use a testing platform like Testlify to assess their skills. This way, you will know if they have the right qualifications and experience needed for your job.
HIn conclusion, hiring a WordPress developer to handle your website is veryis a very good if you want it to be properly maintained and updated.
However, there are certain things that you should keep in mind before hiring one. If you do not have much website development knowledge, it is best to hire someone with experience in building sites using this platform.
Finding the right person for your project can be difficult, but Testlify makes it simple by letting you test potential candidates before making a final hiring decision.